Skip to main content

Amish Friendship Bread

Hey all, I know a lot to post today, but I thought if you were interested, I could give you starters and the directions for this really good bread. If you live out of town, I will send you a loaf! Just let me know if you are interested!

Here are the directions :

(so you can see what has to be done if you are interested)

AMISH FRIENDSHIP BREAD:

Important:
Do not use any type of metal spoon or bowl for mixing. Do not refrigerate. If air gets in the bag, let it out. It is normal for batter to rise, bubble, and ferment.

Day 1: Do nothing(this is the day you recieve the batter or the first date on the bag)
Days 2-5: Mush the bag.
Day 6: add to the bag:
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
Close the bag then mush it until the sugar is disolved.

Days 7-9: mush the bag

Day 10: pour the entire contents of the bag into a non metal bowl and add 1 1/2 cups each of flour, sugar, and milk. Mix. measure out 4 seperate batters of 1 cup each and put them in 4 one gallon iploc bags. These are "Starters". Keep a starter for yourself and give the other three to friends along with the copy of the recipe. Date the starter bags with the first date so if they are not passed along on day one, then your friend will know which day they are on.

Preheat the oven to 325.
Add to the remaining batter:
3 eggs
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups flour
1 large box instant vanilla pudding

grease 2 large loaf pans and mix additional 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon
dust the greased pan with half the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
pour the batter evenly into the 2 pans and sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar on top.
bake for 1 hour. cool until bread loosens from pans (10 minutes)

Note: if you keep a starter for yourself, you will be baking every 10 days. Only the amish know how to create a "starter" so if you give them all away, you will have to wait until someone gives you back one.

Enjoy!

Let me know if you are interested in having any of the loafs or if you want a starter! I am compiling a list of people to do the starters to, so I may have a waiting list, but I will get you yours as soon as possible. I can't start them for about 10 days because Polly is in the middle of getting through her list to me as well!
Dawn

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The importance of connections

 Many times, we don't take the opportunity in life to think about connections. Much like the way legos connect to erect the building or vehicle you are trying to create, without connecting pieces, our lives would fall apart. It's not often that we take time to reflect on those connections in meaningful ways. If I am honest, when we moved from Indiana back to Florida, we didn't appreciate the connections we had and so as I look back I wonder what life would have been like if we'd not only appreciated those connections, but supported them in meaningful ways.  Since moving to Greenville, not only have we made connections, but we've made it a part of life to connect with those people we've met that have become more like family than friends. We took the time to find a church that really believes in connecting with their people and not in a way that makes the patrons of the church feel like they are just a player in the game of chess and that player's job is to be

Oatmeal Energy Bites

 I have tried a few times and failed to save this on my computer, so I'm going to try here. Please see below:  Oatmeal Energy Bites Ingredients:  1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter 1 1/3 cups rolled oats 1 tbsp ground flaxseed 1 tbsp chia seed 1/4 cup shredded coconut 1/2 cup honey 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips 1 scoop protein powder (I use Shakeology) Instructions:  Mix all ingredients together well.  Using 1 tbsp of mixture, roll into balls.  Freeze to enjoy later.  Hope you enjoy it! 

Workout #27

So, here's the challenge. And above, you can see my entry. Kenzie had done crosswords or circle a words (I can't remember) with Gigi and I snapped a pic of her doing it. I absolutely love the design of the sketch we were supposed to use for this lo. It allows for a simple, yet stunning layout. It allows room for journaling as you can see that I added as well as plenty of negative space! And the breakdown goes like this, picture was taken from my collection, background paper was from k and company the best of k and company pad, the circles were literally just picked out of my scrap box. I didn't even look at the papers, i just did a random pick. the lettering was taken from an old sheet of alphas i had and I think they worked out great!!! Simple yet Stunning! Thank you Scrap Fit for the challenge.