Skip to main content

Our first trip to NC (2004)

Miss Maddie said she had promised that I would give you some history from Jump off rock this week. I am typing this on Sunday and will have it scheduled for one day this week. I wanted to do more than just Jump off rock. I thought I'd give you a run through of just how much NC means to us as a family.

In 2004, Roy, Carol, Grandma (Pappy's mom), Ryan, Mack (15 months old) and myself made the trip from the Clearwater/Tampa area for a long weekend in the mountains to see some family. We met Uncle Dave, Aunt Vicki, Uncle Danny, Aunt Sam, DeeDee, Courtney, Chase, Grandpa Craig, and maybe a few more family memebers (I can't remember because it 's been so long) at the "cottage" that Mr. And Mrs. Walker owned.

The Walkers had let us all meet at their cottage, and it was big enough that everyone had plenty of room. It was the largest cottage I had ever seen. It is situated right on the golf course, so we had lots of fun with a toddler on the green after the golfers had gone in for the evening. At one time, I had a photo of her trying to pick up golf balls from the green. She put one in her mouth so she could get more. Immediately, we got it out of there and helped her, but man was she determined.

Over the course of the week, we enjoyed the cottage and all that Cummings Cove  had to offer, but we also enjoyed historic Main Street in Hendersonville. The trip wouldn't have been complete without going to waterfalls and other fun places.

The ladies went to Biltmore Estate. I kept Mack at the cottage because she was young and I didn't think we would have a good time with a screaming toddler. I made a goal that one day, I would go back to this marvelous place. (More about meeting this goal in a future post).

We visited Looking Glass Falls. It's another of my favorite places. It 's just off of the road and you can go down into the water, if you'd like. It's just so beautiful. Hearing the water splashing down the falls and the smells of nature are just what a city girl needs every now and then.

We also visited Chimney Rock. This was AMAZING. The walk up to it was long and wow! The view was just spectacular. On the way back down, I had Mack on my shoulders since that was one of her favorite ways to travel at that age. Out of no where, Uncle Dave grabbed her off of me and packed her like a little football to the bottom. When I got there, she wasn't so thrilled, but he'd had fun doing it, so that's all that matters, right?

Jump off rock was another place we went on our first trip to the mountains. It was this place that would become near and dear to my heart. The view was spectacular. The ride up to it was slightly nauseating, but it was well worth it. As you saw in the post that Mads did earlier in the week, it's just breathtaking.

After this trip, I knew that I had to make sure that we made it back to the Asheville and surrounding areas. It was just something that had been laid upon my heart. Over the years, we have made a few trips back and each time, we visit new falls and places, but Jump off rock still is one of my favorites. It may be because that was the first place that I visited where I could really enjoy the view and feel so connected to the world.

Here's a list of the places in the Hendersonville/Asheville area that we have visited over the years. If you are planning a trip, it would be worth your while to take some time out for some of these:

  • Biltmore Estate
  • Jump off Rock
  • High Falls
  • Triple Falls
  • Covered Bridge Falls
  • Looking Glass Falls
  • Blue Ridge Parkway
  • Pearson's Falls
  • Hooker Falls
  • Dupont Forest
  • Mount Pisgah
  • Ceasar's Head (Greenville, SC)
  • Omni Grove Park Inn
  • Sierra Nevada Brewery
  • Historic Main Street (Hendersonville)
  • Pretty Place (Greenville, SC)
  • Apple Orchards (tons in the area)
  • Feed and Seed
  • Chimney Rock
  • Lake Lure (On our goal list)
  • Woolworth Walk (Asheville)
    • Soda Fountain (yum)
  • Asheville city trolley tour
As you can see, we've got quite the list and it expands into areas that are not central to Hendersonville, but if you have the time and want to explore, there's plenty to do. I'll schedule posts for each of these areas going forward, but if you have questions about any area, just ask. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The importance of connections

 Many times, we don't take the opportunity in life to think about connections. Much like the way legos connect to erect the building or vehicle you are trying to create, without connecting pieces, our lives would fall apart. It's not often that we take time to reflect on those connections in meaningful ways. If I am honest, when we moved from Indiana back to Florida, we didn't appreciate the connections we had and so as I look back I wonder what life would have been like if we'd not only appreciated those connections, but supported them in meaningful ways.  Since moving to Greenville, not only have we made connections, but we've made it a part of life to connect with those people we've met that have become more like family than friends. We took the time to find a church that really believes in connecting with their people and not in a way that makes the patrons of the church feel like they are just a player in the game of chess and that player's job is to be

Oatmeal Energy Bites

 I have tried a few times and failed to save this on my computer, so I'm going to try here. Please see below:  Oatmeal Energy Bites Ingredients:  1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter 1 1/3 cups rolled oats 1 tbsp ground flaxseed 1 tbsp chia seed 1/4 cup shredded coconut 1/2 cup honey 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips 1 scoop protein powder (I use Shakeology) Instructions:  Mix all ingredients together well.  Using 1 tbsp of mixture, roll into balls.  Freeze to enjoy later.  Hope you enjoy it! 

Workout #27

So, here's the challenge. And above, you can see my entry. Kenzie had done crosswords or circle a words (I can't remember) with Gigi and I snapped a pic of her doing it. I absolutely love the design of the sketch we were supposed to use for this lo. It allows for a simple, yet stunning layout. It allows room for journaling as you can see that I added as well as plenty of negative space! And the breakdown goes like this, picture was taken from my collection, background paper was from k and company the best of k and company pad, the circles were literally just picked out of my scrap box. I didn't even look at the papers, i just did a random pick. the lettering was taken from an old sheet of alphas i had and I think they worked out great!!! Simple yet Stunning! Thank you Scrap Fit for the challenge.