Skip to main content

We're taking a new approach to the kids...

So, some of you know that for quite some time, we have been having the battle of Mom v/s Dad war over parenting (mostly discipline). Ryan tended to not want to face it because he doesn't like hearing Kenzie cry, but when it came to Maddie, it was ok to do whatever was needed to get her to stop the naughty thing she was doing.... Not so fair in my book, so I have decided to try to reapproach the "time out" strategy. I have been thinking on this for quite some time. I think Kenzie can finally grasp that if she does something wrong, she will be placed in time out and for every time she gets up, the timer gets restarted. So, since I have had this talk with Kenzie, it was put in place. I noticed that she had taken her clothes off and asked her to go put some clothes on because it is inappropriate for a 5 year old to go without clothing. I don't even allow Maddie to be clothesless. So after several reminders and quite a long time later, I simply said to her "Kenzie go sit in the time out chair for 5 minutes for not listening when Mommy asked you to put clothes on" she went and sat in the chair and 4 minutes into it she got up, so after the timer was reset about 3 times she finally got that she wasn't getting out until her time was up. After the time out, she came to me and said she was sorry for not listening, went right to her room and got some clothes and got dressed. WOW! A different child. It was awesome to see the change in her behavior. I think that my tone of voice had a lot to do with it. Now I just have to brief Ryan on it and since it doesn't involve any of the other techniques that have failed in our house, maybe he will go for it. We will definately keep you all updated on this approach. I am also implementing a new schedule and several charts into our life. (I think I am going to start these once we get moved since we are so close to it. I think it will be a welcomed thing with the new house. I will keep everyone updated on this as well.)

I worked last night. I had close to 30 patients on a unit with the supervisor being the nurse, so it was a trying night for both of us.

Ryan went and had a free round of golf today because of some golf show he went to with Maxx earlier this year. (we love free!).

Kenzie has been doing well today. She made a great usage of words! She came up with an appropriate sentence for telling me what the tree cutter who came to the door was doing next. She said, "Mommy, he went to the other neighbor's house" I was so proud of her and most of it was quite clear for her.

Maddie has been great. I am working on getting her speaking more. Kenzie has gotten accustomed to speaking for her.

And that is the update today. Talk to you all soon.

Dawn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The importance of connections

 Many times, we don't take the opportunity in life to think about connections. Much like the way legos connect to erect the building or vehicle you are trying to create, without connecting pieces, our lives would fall apart. It's not often that we take time to reflect on those connections in meaningful ways. If I am honest, when we moved from Indiana back to Florida, we didn't appreciate the connections we had and so as I look back I wonder what life would have been like if we'd not only appreciated those connections, but supported them in meaningful ways.  Since moving to Greenville, not only have we made connections, but we've made it a part of life to connect with those people we've met that have become more like family than friends. We took the time to find a church that really believes in connecting with their people and not in a way that makes the patrons of the church feel like they are just a player in the game of chess and that player's job is to be

Oatmeal Energy Bites

 I have tried a few times and failed to save this on my computer, so I'm going to try here. Please see below:  Oatmeal Energy Bites Ingredients:  1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter 1 1/3 cups rolled oats 1 tbsp ground flaxseed 1 tbsp chia seed 1/4 cup shredded coconut 1/2 cup honey 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips 1 scoop protein powder (I use Shakeology) Instructions:  Mix all ingredients together well.  Using 1 tbsp of mixture, roll into balls.  Freeze to enjoy later.  Hope you enjoy it! 

Workout #27

So, here's the challenge. And above, you can see my entry. Kenzie had done crosswords or circle a words (I can't remember) with Gigi and I snapped a pic of her doing it. I absolutely love the design of the sketch we were supposed to use for this lo. It allows for a simple, yet stunning layout. It allows room for journaling as you can see that I added as well as plenty of negative space! And the breakdown goes like this, picture was taken from my collection, background paper was from k and company the best of k and company pad, the circles were literally just picked out of my scrap box. I didn't even look at the papers, i just did a random pick. the lettering was taken from an old sheet of alphas i had and I think they worked out great!!! Simple yet Stunning! Thank you Scrap Fit for the challenge.